c6
c2
c4
c3
c1
c5

Northern Branches H-O

Superb entranceway floor advertisement

NORTHERN BRANCHES H-O

A major project has been to not only establish ‘Then and now’ views of where and when the company traded but also to try and capture as many branches as possible particularly the early branches. In this way we can get some idea of the thinking behind the company strategy. By doing this there have been many surprises both on the Southern side-Lennards, and the Northern Side in the finding of ‘gems’. Using three main sources to populate the website are:      

                                          

My own photos & our own collection of postcard views, Google Inc. Street views and Geograph Uk.

Images

Fig 1 2016 view of Harrogate Branch

Fig 2:  23 King Edward Street Hull Branch

Fig3 View of 44 Whitefriargate  Hull Branch

Fig 4: 17 King Edward Street Branch

Fig 5: Malton 17 Saville Street floor advertisement above

 

Halifax,

1892

Halifax, 10 Northgate, 1897-1905

Halifax, 31 Crown Street, 1903-1914

Harrogate

5 St James Buildings, 1909-1968   

Harrogate Beaulah Street Harrogate Y. Eve. Post 12th December 1949. 

Harrogate Herald 23rd April 1947 5, St James buildings, Harrogate

Harrogate, 6 Cambridge Street, 1912-1927 close to the Lowther Arcade

Harrogate, 1945

Hartlepool & West Hartlepool,

23 Northgate Street, 1896-1958 (Hartlepool Northern Daily advertise for staff 22nd July 1931 applications to the Public Benefit Boot Co: Hartlepool.  This facility operated until 1961-62. According to the Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham & Middlesbrough Trades directory of 1958 & 1961-2

Hartlepool Northern Daily 1st June 1899 announce premises at 23 Northgate Hartlepool at the tram terminus. This will have been a smaller branch establishment and also likely a repairing facility? 

78 Lynn Street, Corner of Musgrave Street opened 16th February 1894 under the free trade hall. Branch believed to have remained until at least 1956

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail 6th November 1895: The town council ordered the Town clerk to give notice to the Public Benefit Boot company to remove their signboard from their premises on the corner of Lynn & Musgrave Streets (possibly 113 Musgrave Street)

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail announce on 21st March 1899 the opening on 1st April 1899 a separate ‘LADIES PRIVATE SERVICE SALOON’ Girls and childrens shoes and boots were also to be sold in the private saloon. A bespoke and repair service was also offered advertised.

West Hartlepool, 113 Musgrave Street, 1897-1925. Believe this to be the same branch opened in 1894

Hartlepool Northern Daily16th December 1926 advertising a shop to let 109 Musgrave Street

Musgrave Street now demolished and replaced by housing

Hemsworth,

Barnsley Road, 1st Qtr 1927-1936

Heysham (Morecambe) 

Dalton Road 1950’s

Hetton Downs,

5 Market Street, 1925-1934

Hexham,

Cattle Market (opp Fore Street), 1908-1938

Market Place (opp Queen Ann Inn), 1950’s

Hinckley

21 Castle Street, 1941-1960’s 

Hirst, See Ashington

Holyhead opened May 1924

Horden, (Stanley)

5 Front Street 1925-1938

Stanley, 18 Front Street, Elite Buildings, 1934-1938

Houghton-le-Spring,

89 Newbottle Street, 1925-1934 1924-1934 found in newspapers. Online directories inform that the company ceased trading from 1934.

Huddersfield,

15 Buxton Road, 1884 (Charles Burrow, proprietor, 1884)

Huddersfield, 6 Cross Church Street, east Side, 1912-1927

Huddersfield, 4 King Street, new branch opened 1st QTR 1926 (2nd shop in the town)

Huddersfield, 4 King Street, 1927

Huddersfield, 15 Cross Church Street, 1936-1964

Refer to:  The first ten years 1875-1885′ for a more in depth account in ‘articles’ section.

Hull a bustling port the third port of England is chosen to spearhead what would become the Huge Public Benefit Boot Company. Begun in Prospect Street 1875 in the Brighton Arcade.

Mammoth upgrade Emporium

Hull opened 1885 Emporium Albion Street /Prospect Street. A highly successful Branch it traded until in May 1941 during the great blitz of Hull it was destroyed by enemy bombing.

In the new century the whole top floor was sub let to The Swanland Restaurant above the shop, it caught fire in 1912                                             

Other early Branches

Hull, 51 Saville Street, 1889

Prospect Street, extensions to the first branch quickly appear soon after 1875, a presence is established into the 1880’s at numbers 90-94 a parade of shops opposite the Hull Royal Infirmary now the Prospect Centre until the first upgrade replaces them in 1885

Hull, Holderness Road, 4, East Parade 1886-1896 closed in 1896 stock moved across to new branch 

Hull, 186-188 Hessle Road, 1886-1892. Wellsted Street Corner number 186  closed in 1892 and 188 closed in 1897 stock removed to new Branch. Repairs were carried out at the Hessle Road branches as the company employed a repairer during this period which points perhaps to one of the two shops on the corner of Wellsted Street being a repair shop?

1893 Public Benefit Boot Company repairs shop located past Railway waiting rooms on Anlaby road and heading down to the West park at Walton street.

Hull, 148 Porter Street, 1893-1905 (Henry Franklin, manager, 1904-1905)

NEW ERECTION COLTMAN STREET 1897

Hull, 152-154 Hessle Road, (Cnr Coltman Street), 1897-1925

New Erection Holderness Road 1896

Hull, 35-37 Holderness Road, 1896-1937

Hull, 123 Anlaby Road, (Cnr Great Thornton and Walker Streets) confirmed 1925 Kelly’s directory

Hull, Coltman Street, 1904-1912, (John William Franklin, manager, 1904-1905)

Hull, Jameson Street, (Cnr Chariot Street), 1904-1905

Hull, 18 Brook Street, 1906 The Leeds Mercury 5th August 1932 Ex-employee breaks into the Brook Street repair factory Bristow Lamley Giles was arrested as he kept a diary of his ‘jobs’

18 Brook Street Situated with Thornton varley on the corner number 2 and walking down the street heading towards Garden Street.

Opened in June 1924 at 739 Hessle Road Gipsyville still listed 1941 confirmed also in 1937 Kellys

Hull, 83 Newland Ave, 1912-1937 Kellys 

Hull, Charles Street (west side), 1920’s

Hull Daily Mail 11th August 1938 report of a break in of the Hessle Road branch 

Hull, 332 Hessle Road, 1937 still trading 1942 sited between Dee Street and Division road and on the corner of Division Road

Hull, 483a Anlaby Rd, opened November 1926 still trading 1942

Hull, 23 King Edward Street, opened 11th October 1935 (illustration) found still trading 1941

Hull, 44 Whitefriargate, opened 7th February 1936 (illustration) found 1948

Hull, 17 King Edward Street, 1964-1967

Ilkeston,

53 Bath Street, 1884-1893 ‘Ilkeston Trader’ advert

Ilkeston, 109 Bath Street,   1891-1911 & 1928 confirmed Kellys

Ilkeston, 120 Bath Street, 1932-1941. A Library staff member remembers the branch trading in the 1950’s and is still listed in 1966 but may be suspect.

Inverness

Forsyths Drummond Street Inverness Courier 31st May 1892

Jarrow,

73 Ormonde Street, Opened 19th July 1912  -1925

Jarrow, 67 Ormonde Street, 1932-1940

Keighley,

2 Low Street, 1904

Keighley, 41-42 Low Street, 1912-1927

Keighley, 19 Low Street, 1936

Kendal,

37 Stricklandgate, 1930 opened much earlier and still trading in 1934 confirmed as trading in 1938 from this address by kellys

Kirton Lindsey

 Y.P. 3 October 1930 theft with evidence required from P.B. staff. Boot inspector disallows the action saying he will deduct money from their wages if they attend court   Charles E. Gower manager

Knaith (Kirton Lyndsey) Market place 1925 Kelly’s directory same manager

Lancaster,

Not listed prior to 1924 and is not listed in 1966. Limited directories can only reveal the partial picture

14-16 Market Place, 1934 to ?

Lancaster, 18 Market Place, 1957-1959 

Leamington Spa

10 Victoria terrace opened August 1924-1932

Leeds

21st March 1946 officially changed name to Benefit Footwear

Repairs & Factories

Leeds, 20 & 22 St Paul’s Street, 1904-1934 stopped manufacturing.  In 1940 St. Pauls’ Street, still the H Q

Yorkshire Post & Leeds Intelligencer 1948 on 6th May Ginger Laurence McManus in nine hours stitched 66 pairs of soles per hour at Templar Street repair factory and was praised in the newspaper (photo).

Leeds, Templar Street, Vicar Lane, (Benefit Central Repairs Factory, employed around 150 people), 1932-1966 (Harry Edgar Wright, manager, 1932-1960; Arthur R Hudson, manager, 1960-1961; manager, Harry Daubney 1964;

Leeds, 33 Queen Victoria Street, (Benefit Footwear Ltd repair facility), 1961-1988

Roundhay Road

Leeds Roundhay Road, 1891-1903

Leeds, 253 Roundhay Road, 1911-1912 & 1927 Kelly’s

Head offices

Leeds, Lion House, New Market Street/Vicar Lane corner 1912-1949 confirmed 1936 Kellys

Leeds, 39 Park Place, 1897-1904

Leeds, Darley House, West Street, 1948-1949

All other addresses

358 Kirkstall Road 1927 Kelly’s confirmed 1936 Kellys

Leeds 126 Vicar Lane confirmed 1936 kellys

Leeds, Lisbon Street, 1870

Leeds, 40 Lisbon Street, 1872-1886

Leeds, 5 Roscoe Road, 1872

Leeds, 27 New Market Street, 1894-1897 (Brow Dickinson, managing director, 1897)

Leeds, 28 Call Lane, 1894-1897

Leeds, 14 Call Lane, 1894-189 confirmed by Kelly’s National directory of Great Britain 1896

Leeds, 14 New Briggate, 1910

Leeds, 3 Headingley Lane, 1912 & confirmed 1927 kellys

Leeds, 54 North Lane Headingley (next to Thrift Grocers Store), 1927 & 1936 confirmed Kellys

Leeds, 67-69 The Headrow (Cnr Lands Lane), 1931-1949

69 Headrow confirmed 1936 kellys

Leeds, 2 The Headrow, 1949-1956

Meanwood, 8 Stonegate Road Meanwood confirmed 1927 Kelly’s  confirmed 1936 Kellys

69 Headingley 1936 Kellys

112a Wellington Road 1936 Kellys

Hunslet (leeds)

53 Waterloo Road 1927 Kelly’s confirmed 1936 Kellys

Leigh,

33 Bradshawgate, 1898

Leigh, 36 Bradshawgate, 1929

Lichfield,

1934-1948 confirmed Lichfield Mercury July 1948

Lincoln

John O’ Gaunts Branch 

115a & 115b High Street, (Cnr Gaunt Street), 1903-1928. March 1932 local newspapers show an Adv.: to let a lock up shop at 115 High Street previously owned & used by Public Benefit Boot co.

High Street Branch

Lincoln, 203 High Street, (Cnr Benedict Square), 1913-1970

Lincolnshire Echo 22nd December 1921 also lists 203 High Street as being next to St. Benedict’s Church 

Public Benefit,  Dunns & Lennards Ltd fined for keeping their shops opened beyond 8 p.m. in Lincoln in 1932 

3rd December 1947 Ad for 203 High Street Lincoln 1948 & 1955. 

Liverpool, & district

Toxteth Park,

69 Granby Street, 1891

Liverpool 81 Byron Street, 1900 Lancaster Library

Liverpool, 126 Kensington Street, 1900 Lancaster Library

Bootle  441 Stanley Road, 1907 Kelly’s Lancashire

Birkenhead: 165 Grange Road 1894 Lancaster library

Birkenhead, 230 Grange Road, 1925-1934 Lancaster Library

Birkenhead, 258 Grange Road, 1946-1966 Lancaster Library

Sefton Park,

16 Lodge Lane, 1907 Kelly’s Lancashire

Liverpool, 120 Earle Road, 1905-1911 Lancaster Library 

Liverpool, 215-217 Park Road (W A Golsby & Co, proprietors), 1907

Liverpool Great Crosby branch opened 1924 

Liverpool, 21 Brunswick Road, 1925-1934 (repairs) Lancaster Library

Liverpool, 58 Bold Street, 1955  Lancaster Library

Wavertree, Liverpool,

603 Smithdown Road, 1911-1935 Lancaster Library

Llandudno, Caerphilly,

45 Mostyn Street, 1905-1942

Loftus,North Yorkshire

Market Place, 1913

Loftus, 91 High Street, 1925 -1937 confirmed kellys

London

58 Hornsey High street 1938-9 Haringey Council this is an ex. Amies Wallace branch taken over by ‘Benefit as part of a batch of fifty. 40 remained open 10 closed.Situated on the fringes of ‘Crouch End’ close to Turnpike Lane Tube Station and the famous Crouch End Clock Tower

164 Trafalgar road SE10 Greenwich1942-1948 same source as above

Longton,

64 Market Street, 1891-1892 kelly’s 

Loughborough,

Biggin Street

Loughborough 6a Church Street, 1885-1931

6 & 6a Church Gate Kellys 1928

Loughborough, 30 Swan Street, 1911

Loughborough, 31-32 Swan Street, 1931-1962

Louth,

86 Eastgate, 1919-1927 Louth Library

Louth new branch opened 84 Eastgate 1st QTR 1927 -1967

Luton

Park Square the Clock House electric lighting fitted 7th Aug 1894 Leighton Buzzard observer

Clock House, Park Square, 21 Park Street, 1896-1917 Mrs Susannah Taylor, manageress, 1911; S Taylor & Co, proprietors, 1914)

Luton, (near Empire Cinema), 1959

Malton,

13a Saville Street, 1909-1937 confirmed Kellys

Malton, 17 Saville Street, 1909-1913

15 Saville Street occupied by Lennards ltd up to the 1960’s

Malton, 54 Market Place, circa 1911 this branch was also close to the livestock market.

Mansfield

listed in 1921 Nott Eve. Post

Market Weighton,

Market Place, 1892-1911 (Charles Whitaker of Leeds, proprietor, 1892;

Maryport opened summer 1925

Mexborough,

165 Wath Road, 1896 Sheffield district

Mexborough, 159 Main Street, 1900-1901

Mexborough, 11 Main Street, 1911

Mexborough, 66 High Street, 1927-1936

Middlesbrough,

44 Linthorpe Road, 6th October 1893 confirmed by newspaper also adding Electric light-and trading at least until 1932  East side next to Smiths’ buildings

Middlesborough Gazette advising they supply 5 million people with boots every year (1899)

44 Linthorpe and 91 Newports Roads 1908

Middlesbrough, 191 & 193 Newport Road, opened 16th October 1899 (cnr Jamieson Street), 1900-1947

Middlesbrough, 83 Linthorpe Road, 1932-1939

Moorends,

Goole Street, 2nd QTR 1927

Moorends, 147 Marshlands Road, 1936

Morecambe

St Anne’s opened May 1924

Morecambe 34 Euston Road listed in 1938

13th may 1939 Morecambe Guardian reports on a massive break in

Morley,

9 Fountain Street, (warehouse), 1894-1904 Founded by William Henry Franklin.

Morley, 96 Queen Street, 1912-1922

Morley, 28 Queen Street, 1911-1936

Morpeth,

3 Bridge Street, 1938 branch opened March 12th 1937 still trading November 1948: Morpeth Herald

Nelson,

14 New Arcade, 1941 Barrett’s Directory Nelson

Nelson, 9 Leeds Road, 1941 Barrett’s Directory Nelson

Newark-on-Trent,

37 Market Place, 1891-1892

Newark-on-Trent, 42-44 Market Place, 1896-1971

Newark 43 Market place confirmed by Kelly’s National directory of Great Britain 1896

Newcastle Upon Tyne,

By 1962 the company were down to 3 Branches trading up to 1968

Newcastle Byker District 131 Shields Road, Byker, 1904-1925

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Byker district 82 Shields Road, 1921-1956 confirmed 1936 Kellys

84 Shields Road 1929 Kellys Northumberland the firm had extended 82 & 84 Shields Road was still trading in 1953 Kelly’s Newcastle

Newcastle Upon Tyne, 61 Clayton Street, 1910-1968 confirmed 1936 kellys* 

Newcastle Upon Tyne,  40 Northumberland Street, 1936-1968*

40 Northumberland street confirmed 1936 Kellys

Gosforth Newcastle

201 High Street, opened 1st QTR 1926-1968*

confirmed 1936 Kellys

Newton Le Willows see Earlestown

Normanton,

11-12 Market Place, 1894-1922 1901-1917)

Normanton, 38 High Street, 1922-1960

North Shields,

4 & 5 Saville Street opened 3rd October 1919 as brand new shops coming to North Shields for the first time. As advertised in the Shields Daily News 1st October 1919, Sunderland Daily Echo 1st November 1919  but by November 1920 number 4 & 5 appear to have gone. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any other information relating to this branch?

3. Saville Street Shields Daily News 11th February 1920 the company are advertising for a apprentice to work at number 3

3, Saville Street 1920 -1936 confirmed by Kellys in 1936 and by the Sunderland daily echo and shipping gazette for 20th November 1920 & 1940 confirmed by kellys North shields

Conducting research into this  building it turns out to be a large public House by the name of Sir Colin Campbell listed as number 3. Number one was another pub still trading , Mariners Arms and this is number 1. Number 2a is a hairdressers ‘Unwind’. Likely scenario looking at old post cards which tell the story of a Comedy Theatre situated on Saville Street, North Shields on a site which began life as the Oddfellows’ Hall in the 1890s. This early Public Hall was situated above a Public House and Boot Shop on Saville Street. The Public House was the Sir Colin Campbell and the boot shop is unknown. The frontages of both pubs were let to other businesses and in this case Public Benefit from 1920 took up trading from this pub but may have been there much earlier.

The Pub today has been converted to ‘The Prestige Furniture Company’ Number 4,& 5 is a company called ‘Desserts Direct’ and number 6 where the Palace of Varieties was sited erected in 1901 is a company called ‘Bentinck Furniture Clearance centre’

Northampton

7A Abington Street opened in 17th September 1937 & still there in 1951

Northampton,  14 Abington Street, 1958-1973

Nottingham

see also Bulwell, Hucknall Torkard

DERBY ROAD

Nottingham Journal 19th February 1880 Applying for staff at 21-23 Derby road (Flagship store) Albert Hall buildings. Corner of North Circus Street 1881-1916, (Franklin & Co, proprietors, 1885; J Harker & Co, proprietors, 1894-1901; George Edward Franklin, director, 1904;

Kellys trade directory for Great Britain 1896 lists the branch as being 17-19-21-23 on the corner of North Circus Street. Today it is known as Mia House

CLUMBER STREET

Nottingham, 29 Clumber Street, (cnr Maypole Yard), 1910-1911

Nottingham, 8 Clumber Street, opened 10th May 1912 Nottingham Evening Post 8th May 1912. Nottingham’s central establishment. Confirmed 1913 & 1916 

Nottingham, 8 Clumber Street, 1966 confirmed Notts Eve. Post 

REPAIRS

Nottingham, Hyson Green, 73-75 Radford Road, 1896-1899 

Nottingham, 97-99 Radford Road, Hyson Green, 1904-1916, 

1921 @ 97-99 Radford Road, Hyson Green, & 1947 (Just the premises at 99)

Nottingham 97 Radford Road reported The Era 20th June 1925

VARIOUS ADDRESSES

17-19 Beck street Public benefit Boot manufacturing co. 1894 

Nottingham, Commercial Buildings, Beck Street, 1885-1899 (Jabez Harker, proprietor, 1894-1899)

Nottingham, 2 Newark Lane, 1898-1899,

Nottingham, 2 Sneinton Road(Cnr Sophie Street ), 1904,

Nottingham, 45-48 Pelham Street, 1910-1911

Nottingham 66 Bridge Street 1912

Nottingham, Bentinck Buildings, 9-Wheeler Gate, 1913-1916

Nottingham New branch on 85 Wilford Road 3rd QTR 1925 also listed 1948

Nuneaton,

5 Market Place, 1911-1940

Oldham

Market Place

Ossett,

12 Market Place, 1917-1927

Ossett, New Branch Kingsway, 3rd QTR 1927-1960

 

 

Navigation